Sunday, March 1, 2009

Who Gave You the Keys?


At the risk of overstating this, I have to say that coming home in 1992 to work in the church in which I grew up was the coolest. I could not have been more stoked. And working side by side with my cousin, friend, and “brother” Phil was almost too good to be true.
That’s not to say that it was without challenges. We had our work cut out for us when we got there. But we survived the transition. And then, in little more than a year, we even survived another transition—our first staff change. That modification in personnel necessitated our becoming interim youth pastors, which we had done before.
However, the guy Phil hired to step into that position could not have fit in any better with us. Even though he was 15 years younger, Darryl Wooton was and still is the man. In no time, we were known as one of the best teams in our region. The church flourished, and people wanted to hear from us the secret of our success. They asked for our advice on pastor and staff relations. We didn’t have much to tell them except, “We really love each other, and we love working together.” Apparently, that’s not all that common. But our years together will always be remembered as some of the most fun I have ever had in ministry.
We were having a blast. In fact, we joked about the inmates taking over the asylum. Phil remarked once that it was such a dream, and we were still such “kids” on the inside that we were expecting at any moment one of the elders to storm into our “staff meeting” over Chinese food at “Golden Palace” and say, “What do you boys think you’re doing? Who gave you the keys to this place? Give those back. We’re going to need some adults to take over here.”
But that never happened. They let us be in charge. And that could have continued until I retired as far as I was concerned. I think I could have been content to stay there for a long time.
But then the tornado hit.

3 comments:

luke said...

Oooo .... I'm very tempted to dive deep into the uncertainty of authority here, but I'll suffice to point out this may have been what the Apostles felt like as Jesus was taken up into heaven?

Anonymous said...

Those years were such a blast. The only aspiration I ever had was to be a roadie for the Peacemakers. Let me know if that gig ever opens up. After reading your blog, I just jotted down, “Top Ten Echoes of the Glory Years.” …

10. “You Don’t Know Jack.”
9. “Would you look at that?”
8. “What would you do?”
7. “I don’t know if you heard but we had a little tornado.”
6. “Boom Mic Big Time.”
5. “Faces made for Radio.”
4. “Hoots of Joy.”
3. “Gonna do a little walkin’”
2 “You can’t beat free.”
1. “Adios Rotunda.”

there should probably be a blog entry on each of those , huh? :)

Jeff said...

That top ten is a great review of 9 of the best years of my life...

Sorry, everyone. You had to be there.